Friday, July 3, 2009

Yoga Helps Reduce Hot Flashes

Some of the most life-altering symptoms of peri-menopause are hot flashes, night sweats, sleep disturbances and mental fogginess. Yoga is commonly recommended as a form of exercise for peri-menopausal women, but not necessarily for help with controlling peri-menopausal symptoms. A study recently published in the British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology suggests that women experiencing such symptoms could benefit from a regular integrated yoga practice.

Researchers conducted a randomized controlled study in 14 centers of yoga research in Bangalore, India to assess the effect of a regularly practiced yoga on peri-menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes, night sweats and sleep disturbance. They randomized 120 peri-menopausal women between the ages of 40 and 55 to either a yoga or control group. The women in the yoga group practiced yoga postures (asana), breathing exercises and cyclic meditation for one hour 5 days per week. The control group participated in supervised simple physical exercises for the same amount of time per week.

Results: The women in the yoga group experienced a greater reduction in hot flashes, night sweats and sleep disturbances. In addition, the women practicing yoga experienced improved cognitive functions such as concentration, memory (remote and short term) and an overall "mental balance".


Read more about developing a yoga practice


Read the abstract
Reference: Chattha R, Nagarathna R, Padmalatha V, Nagendra HR. Effect of yoga on cognitive functions in climacteric syndrome: a randomised control study. BJOG 2008;115:991-1000

3 comments:

Rita said...

I love yoga, and it does help a lot with my hot flashes. After my surgery that induced my menopause I was really turned off to hormones (even bio-identical) and pharmaceuticals so I've been trying to deal with my symptoms through natural medicine.  I practice yoga daily, get regular acupuncture, take some Chinese herbs, and use one of these to cool my bed at night: ChiliPad  I've also gone on an all organic whole food diet - and eliminated sugar, caffeine, alcohol, and refined flour.  So far I think I have it managed, but I'm not 100% yet.  Just wondering what else people are doing as I'm always looking for suggestions.

bodylift said...

You are right. Yoga may be effective in those conditions. I am also apply Yoga and it it much effective.

spider veins said...

There are several benefits of yoga. is the meditative aspect to help you relax and clear your mind. This in turn can help your body relax, the body of poisons naturally lower blood pressure and muscle tension. Another advantage is the physical aspect, referring to the interests relax the muscles, ligaments and tendons, while focusing on deep breathing.